Monday, October 17, 2011

Great Reminder

For our Bible study this morning, we have two great verses that are just reminders for us.
Romans 5:8
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 6:23
"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

It is so easy to beat ourselves up with thoughts like "I am not good enough." "I am not worthy." "I'm such a failure." But these are not God's thoughts toward us. Satan is the author of these thoughts and we have to learn to take them captive and focus on God's truth instead.

The very idea that He died for me while I was still a sinner because of His great love for me is almost too much to comprehend. The wages of my sin should have been death and eternal separation from my God. But He made a way for me, offering me eternal life through Jesus Christ. It is amazing really.

On my worst days, I can hold on to the truth that Jesus didn't die for me because I was "good enough". He died for me simply because He loved me. My Life Application study Bible says that whenever I feel uncertain of God's love for me, I can remember that He loved me before I ever turned to Him. When I was living life as a complete rebel, he loved me with an unconditional love. He pursued me. He wanted me. He saw the value in me. He offered me a free gift that cannot be paid back. As a believer, I need to learn to simply rest in this great truth.

Until next time...

*If you missed last night's lesson you can email me at gldevaughn@yahoo.com, send me your email address and I will send you the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment