Tuesday, October 25, 2011

2 Corinthians 10:12-13

2 Corinthians 10:12-13
"For we are not bold to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves, and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding. But we will not boast beyond our measure, but within the measure of the sphere which God apportioned to us as a measure to reach even as far as you."

In context Paul is speaking of false teachers who came into the city of Corinth commending themselves. Being false teachers, their teaching would have been in complete opposition to Paul's ministry, or the gospel message. These teachers thought that they were right and above everyone else. Of course, they only compared themselves by themselves or those like themselves. This shows that they were without understanding or unwise.

Paul chose not to get caught up in the comparison game. He knew exactly what God had called him to do. He knew the ministry that he had came from God...He apportioned it to him. Paul said that he would not boast beyond that.

As woman it is incredibly easy to stay in a place where we constantly compare ourselves to others. We compare everything...our looks, our clothes, our husbands, our financial situations, our houses, the way our children behave or perform in school, our bodies, etc.

This week we are talking about our service for the Lord and this just happens to be another area that we compare ourselves to others. We look at other women to see what they are doing for God and we want to be used in the same way. We want their influence, their respect, their giftedness, etc. We compare ourselves to others and then feel completely lacking in our own giftedness to do anything grand for God.

As a person who enjoys teaching God's Word to other women, I can look at Beth Moore, Priscilla Shirer, and Vicky Courtney and desperately want their ministries, their influence, and their giftedness to speak. I think it would be so cool to have the platform that they have. Of course, I still get nervous in front of 25 people, much less stand up in front of thousands. God has called those particular ladies to that size ministry. I know that I cannot compare themselves to those ladies. I am not them and never will be. To compare what I "do" for God and what they "do" for God is silly. I have to focus on what God has called me to do, the ministry that He has apportioned to me, and stop comparing myself to others. I cannot even compare myself with myself. I have to constantly be measuring myself against God, continually growing to become more and more like Him.

This week I hope that you will be praying about what your ministry for God currently looks like. As Christians, we should all be serving in some way. God has given us a gift called a "lifetime" and we should be using it to glorify Him. If you are not serving in the body of Christ, you are robbing yourself and others of great joy. It is time to get serious about your calling!

Until next time...

Oh, my Bible study group knows what I am talking about...but with Gene out of town, no one threw up in the night....Praise the Lord!!!! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment