Thursday, October 8, 2009

Prayer

Last night at church Bro. Tim talked about the need for revival in our country, in our churches, in our families, and in our personal lives. The lack of revival in these areas is directly related to our lack of prayer. He made the comment that according to recent surveys the average christian only prays 3 minutes a day and the average preacher only prays 10 minutes a day. Does that shock anyone else? Surely we pray more than that. Surely the average pastor prays more than that. Then I really thought about my last week. I have mentioned how busy we have been and I certainly haven't spent the time in prayer that I would like. I have prayed, but I haven't prayed over my lists or written in my prayer journal. I haven't timed my prayers (and I'm not going to), but maybe they have only been about 3 minutes in length, maybe a little more, but maybe a little less.

I say little popcorn prayers throughout the day when a need arises and I pray before eating, etc., but how much time does that really take. A prayer over a meal might take 10-15 seconds. A quick prayer for a friend....again just a few seconds. All of these "seconds" might add up to about 3 minutes! That is kind of scary to me.

As Christians we don't need to be legalistic about the length of time we spend in prayer. No where in the Bible does it say, "Thou shall spend 60 minutes a day in prayer or thou shall go to hell." But what does it say about my heart, about my love and devotion to God if I cannot find more than 3 minutes a day to talk to Him. It is real easy to say, "Well, I am in a tough season with little ones at home and I just can't find the time to pray." We all go through different seasons of life, and having little ones at home does complicate matters a bit. But if I can find time to blog, check my email, scroll through Facebook, or read a magazine, then surely I can find the time to pray.

Lord, forgive me when I put so many things before You. Empower me to carve out that time each day to really talk to you and to listen to what you want to say to me.

2 Chronicles 7:14
"And My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

No comments:

Post a Comment