Thursday, October 15, 2009

momMEtime

Today was our monthly fellowship at our church we affectionately call momMEtime. We meet on the third Thursday of every month from 9:30-11:30. We get to drop our kids off with babysitters and enjoy a devotion, food, and fellowship. We spend the last 45 minutes or so playing board games and it sure is fun to just hang out with others moms and laugh. It neat to see people's personality open up (or not) as they play games. Today we played Buzzword. This game makes you think and allows you to laugh at the same time...a great combination.

Today I led the devotion and the game time so I wasn't quite as relaxed as I headed to the meeting as I was last month, when the devotion time was led by someone else. I was definitely blessed though. We have a group of about 12 moms who come everyone single month. They are the "core" group, I guess you could say, and I look to forward to being with them and talking with them and listening to their stories of the crazy things that their kids do. If one is absent, we feel it. If one is sick or recovering from surgery, we help with their kids or take meals to the family. Theses women took care of me after I came home from the hospital with Gracen. My mom cooked several meals for me and then these women took over. I had meals for 2 solid weeks. I don't know what we would have done without them and my mother.

This group of moms reminds me that I am not alone on this journey called motherhood. It does seem lonely sometimes, doesn't it? That is funny to say really because I am never alone, not even in the bathroom. I always have one or two girls with me where ever I go. Every mother out there knows what I mean. Sometimes you just need a "sister friend" to talk to. I am thankful to God for each and every one of them.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
"Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up."

Life is designed for companionship, not isolation; for intimacy, not loneliness. Some days I think it would be much easier to just stay home, but I have to remember all the benefits that comes from being connected to a group of other Christian women. God designed us to connect with others and the time that I spend with them is always worth my effort.

I am already looking forward to next month.

1 comment: