Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Croup and Storms

Reagan had croup last week. I haven't mentioned it on my blog because my girls have been sick so much that it is getting ridiculous. Actually, I was pretty sure that it was another allergic reaction. She used to have these pretty regularly, between the ages of one and three. It has probably been a year since she had a reaction, so the doctor called this barking and wheezing episode "croup". He said croup is treated just like an allergic reaction...steroid, breathing treatment, Tylenol for the low grade fever...so it didn't really matter what we called it. He did say that I would know if it was croup if Gracen developed the same symptoms within a few days.

Obviously, it was croup. Gracen started coughing and her nose was runny on Monday. By Monday night her cough was getting thicker and she woke up this morning with a full blown barky cough and a pretty strong wheeze. Her nose was also coated with green snot...lovely, right after my morning coffee. I immediately called the doctor.

I was not happy about this because Tuesday is my day to stay at home. I needed to stay at home today because I am behind on laundry and housework. Oh well...I know those things will be here tomorrow. Anyway, we left at 9:30 and didn't get back home until around 1:00. Gracen definitely has croup and received a steroid shot and an oral prescription. She is incredibly ill and my nerves are about shot, especially coming out of the long weekend we had. Apparently, Gracen wasn't sleeping because she was coming down with croup, or at least I hope that is the reason. I must say though, he did sleep wonderfully last night, despite being sick.

Reagan wet the bed again, but I think she knew I was at my limit. This morning I discovered that she had pulled her wet sheets off of her bed, changed her clothes, and climbed into her sleeping bag in the middle of the night. It kind of made me feel bad that she felt like she couldn't wake me up, but I am also very glad she let me sleep.

Changing subjects...

I wanted to share briefly about the sermon from Sunday morning. It was so applicable to life... not just a load of theology. It was based on Mark 4:35-41 where Jesus is in the small boat with the disciples when a huge storm comes along. Jesus is asleep and the disciples start to freak out. They woke him up and Jesus completely calms the storm by saying, "Peace! Be still!" He then questions the disciples about why they were afraid and why they had such little faith.

Bro. Tim did a great job developing this story and I just wanted to hit some of the highlights. He started out reminding us that we are either in a storm, coming out of a storm, or about to go into our next storm. Isn't that so true? We know that is part of this fallen world we live in and we need to be thankful for the calm times in our lives....those moments between the storms. I am not thankful enough for those calm times. Bro. Tim basically pointed out that there are two reactions to storms....
1. They make people flee from God as they become angry and bitter about the hand they have been dealt...or
2. They run to God trying to be as close to God as possible because they know that is their source of strength.

The best choice is obviously #2. To successfully weather the storms of life, first and foremost, we need to make sure that Jesus is in our boat. Are you a believer? Have you asked Jesus Christ to come into your heart, to forgive you of your sins, and to become your Savior and Lord? I hope so. If not, send me a message. I would love to meet with you.

As believers we can certainly trust the promises of Jesus. At the beginning of this story, Jesus said to his disciples in vs. 35, "Let us cross to the other side." Jesus knew the storm was coming and as Bro. Tim pointed at, he didn't say, "Let us TRY to get to the other side." I had never really thought about that. My mind immediately went to the promise of heaven. I may have many storms to endure in this life, but God will be faithful. He promises to never let me go and I will make it the other side.

I will hold on to Jesus. With Jesus in my boat I will not sink. Bro. Tim gave a lot of examples of people that God has faithfully stood with, despite their circumstances, people like Noah, Abraham, David, and Daniel. He also shared a powerful story about his mother who died of cancer. In the weeks leading up to her death, the nurses were struck by the complete peace that was felt in her hospital room. One nurse commented that the same peace was absent in other patient rooms...rooms that must have contained "lost" people. In their rooms, there were cries of pain, anger, bitterness, coldness, etc. Bro. Tim's mom had the complete peace that comes from knowing Jesus Christ as her personal Savior and Lord. Even though she lost her fight with cancer, God was faithful. He was in the boat and he safely brought her to the other side.

That makes me want to stand up and cheer!

Philippians 4:7 "And the PEACE OF GOD, which SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment