Saturday, April 3, 2010

Quick Update

We have had a bad string of days. That is really sad as pretty as the weather has been too. Reagan was sick and then Gracen was sick. Apparently after croup, a pretty bad cold develops. Reagan was manageable, even though she wasn't in the best mood. A sick baby on the other hand...not so manageable. The doctor said this cold could last 5-10 days. I seriously will not last 10 days. I am not joking! Wednesday and Thursday were the worst two days. Gracen was ill as a hornet. Everything I did made her cry and whine, which made the snot roll and made her cough profusely. The coughing made her gag and the gagging made her mad, which made her cry some more. You get the idea. If I was holding her she wanted down. If she was down she wanted me to hold her. If we were inside, she wanted to be outside. If we were outside, she wanted to be inside. The constant whine is beginning to sound like nails on a chalkboard. She has not been napping all that great either, and she has been waking up way too early in the morning, and going to sleep way to late at night. One would think with the arrival of spring that all our sickness would be behind us. Maybe this is it for a while.

On Thursday, I was on edge. Gene noticed this and thought maybe it would be a good idea to go somewhere by myself. Ya think! I also needed an Easter dress and the girls needed hair bows to match their Easter dresses. I left about 1:00 and didn't come home until around 5:00. That was the fastest 4 hours of my life. It was really nice to be alone though. I went to the Sassy Cricket to buy hair bows and then went to East Chase. I went to Justice for my niece's birthday, Kohl's for a few spring items, Dress Barn for my Easter dress, and then spent an hour or more in the Montgomery Target. After my checkbook was done shopping, I sat in the Sonic parking lot and drank a fruit smoothie and relished the complete quiet and serenity of my car. I then prayed on the way home, preparing myself to go back in.

Friday was somewhat better. Gracen's mood is improving and Reagan seems fine. Unfortunately, Gracen still has a runny nose and a cough. She is also still "touchy". Gene was off for Good Friday and we had a date night planned. We spent most of the day outside and survived until 4:30, which is when we took the girls to Gene's mom. We went to Olive Garden, Belk for Gene's Easter shirt and tie, and then Target again. I love Target. We really enjoyed the night away from the house together and the girls were really good for their Gran and Paw Paw. Reagan spent the night there and Gracen came home with us because I am still nursing her.

Today, we are going to Shoal Creek Baptist Church for their Easter Egg Hunt (& other activities) from 10:00 until 12:00. We are looking forward to seeing old friends. We will come home and rest and then we are heading to my Mom and Dad's house for a cookout and probably a little Easter Egg Hunt. On Sunday, we will wake up early to give the girls their Easter baskets, eat breakfast, and head to church. We do not have services Sunday evening, so we are having dinner and another Easter egg hunt with Gene's family. Hopefully, the weekend will be nice and Gracen will continue to improve.

I have read some really beautiful blog posts about Easter, including the blog written by my older sister, Lori. You will find the link to her blog on the right hand side of this post. I had really hoped to be more reflective during this week leading up to Easter on the meaning of the cross and the resurrection. Unfortunately, with Gracen's sickness and subsequent moodiness, I haven't really had much of a coherent thought. Maybe that was Satan's plan.... to use this illness to keep me from entering in to worship this week. Even as I type this entry, it is 6:23 a.m. and Gracen has been crying in her room for the last 10 minutes. I simply cannot be a deep theological writer right now....not that I am usually all that deep. I will say that I am so grateful for the cross and so grateful for the forgiveness of my sins.

We have had some really good discussions with Reagan using the Resurrection Eggs and the Easter movie we bought her that details the last week of Jesus on Earth, the cross, and the Resurrection. Hopefully, when asked about the meaning of Easter, she will tell you what Jesus did for us. I hope that comes out of her mouth before the Easter egg hunts, baskets, and bunnies.

Well, check back on Monday for lots of pictures of our weekend events.

Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment