Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Week

It is so hard to believe that it is already time for Thanksgiving. As I woke up this morning, I had such a feeling of expectancy for the week ahead. It is going to be a busy week, but a good one nonetheless.

Today was Reagan's Thanksgiving program at her preschool. She was dressed like a little Indian and sang 3 songs with her class. She was adorable when she walked out onto that stage. She immediately started scanning the audience and when she saw Gene and me and her two grandmothers, her little face lite up like a light bulb. She waved at all of us and blew us kisses. It was precious. I was so proud of her. I told my mom that moments like that make all the trials of motherhood worth it. My heart just swelled with love for that little girl.
Here she is on the stage with her class.


Late this afternoon I am going to buy groceries. I am making some desserts with Reagan since she is out of school for the rest of the week and I am making a hash brown casserole to take to my mom's on Thursday. I like to cook a little around the holidays. We usually do some special breakfasts with Gene off work too. Reagan has put in her requests for strawberry muffins and blueberry pancakes....not on the same morning, I don't think. Gene wants pigs in a blanket and french toast. We also usually make homemade waffles with a waffle maker that Gene gave me for Christmas. We eat pretty good around here when holidays roll around....no packaged granola bars for sure.

On Tuesday, Gracen has her 6 month well visit with Dr. Simon. She is actually 6 months and 3 weeks old because if you'll remember, we got off track when she was 2 months old, when my doctor went on a two week vacation. Anyway, this little outing will probably take all day. Gracen has to have shots of course, and then we have to go and have a chest x-ray done because the doctor saw a "suspicious" spot on her last x-ray. He said he wasn't worried at all....so I haven't worried at all...just wants to double check it. I'll let you know tomorrow how her visit goes, how much she has grown, etc. And pray that we don't pick up the swine flu that is going around. I really think baby well visits should be done in your home during flu season. I am not sure how the doctors would really work this out, but it would be nice wouldn't it? Or maybe they want you to bring in your well baby so they will get sick, which means you have to bring your sick baby back in to the office for another $30.00 co-pay. Hmmmm. Something to think about.

On Wednesday, Gene gets off at lunch and I am going to get a haircut and color, and maybe get my eyebrows waxed while I am there. I have to look somewhat presentable to see all the family. I love going to the salon. While I am there, I get to sit and actually read some magazines...in peace and quiet. It is very relaxing.

Wednesday night we will be having Thanksgiving dinner with Gene's side of the family. The food is always delicious. I can taste the green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, turkey with gravy, dressing, corn, rolls, English peas, sweet potato pie, and pecan pie now. It will also be great to visit with everyone. Gene has one brother who is married with two children. Reagan loves to play with them. We all live right here in Holtville, but only see each other on the holidays really. It will be nice to catch up with everybody.

On Thursday, we will do a special breakfast at home as we watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. We will be home most of the day and will head to my parent's house that afternoon for dinner. My two sisters will be there with their families and I can hardly wait to see all of them. I LOVE hanging out with all my family. We sit around and eat and talk...and eat and talk. The food there will be delicious too. I love my mom's sweet potato casserole. This year we have two new babies to pass around and enjoy. My Gracen was born in May and my younger sister gave birth to Hayden 3 weeks later. We have a lot to be thankful for this year.

On Friday, I will be hanging out all day with Gene. We are going to watch the Iron Bowl on television and order two greasy hamburgers from Dusty' Diner, our local "greasy spoon".

The weekend after Thanksgiving we usually decorate for Christmas, so we will see. With such a busy week and having two children now, that may have to wait until next weekend.

Well, that is my week in a nutshell. Check back late tomorrow afternoon for a report on Gracen's doctor visit. Her appointment is not until 11:00, so my blog update will be much later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment