Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Eve

I simply cannot believe that I haven't blogged since last Tuesday. My apologies to any faithful readers that I have, if I have any. Gene was off all last week and I had planned to blog every morning, but there were so many things to do with last minute errands, baking, wrapping last minute gifts, and doing various activities with the girls, that my computer time just didn't happen.
We did go to Zoo Lights on Wednesday night, but I was NOT impressed. I took a few pictures that I am not going to even share because, honestly, they are not all that interesting. Zoo lights will not be a "tradition" for us.
I am going to do a series of 3 posts about Christmas because 1 post would be ridiculously long with all the pictures. I thought I would just start with Christmas Eve.
I just knew this day would drag on endlessly, but it flew by to me. We watched a Christmas movie that morning and just spent some time laying around together. Then we started baking cookies, which literally took about 4 hours. I was shocked at that. I just didn't figure in the time that would be needed to prepare the dough, roll it out, cut out cookies, roll the dough again, cook a few pan of cookies, let them cool, move them off the pan, get the next set rolled and cut out, let them cook, let them cool, etc. And the decorating....who knew that could take so long. I actually lost my stamina for it, and Gene ended up doing most of the decorating, which I am sure he was so excited about.
Here are the girls ready to mix the dough.
Here is Reagan working on the first batch. And if you ate one of these cookies, Reagan scrubbed her hands before she touched anything.

This was the second batch of cookies. There was flour EVERYWHERE. It was all over her and all over the floor. Gene is very clean and kept looking at the mess saying, "My goodness".

I skipped a lot of the middle steps, but here are some of the finished cookies.

I couldn't get this picture to turn, but I wanted to show Gene "busy" in the kitchen. Reagan was standing right by him, talking his head off.

The rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning up, eating lunch, a little rest time for the girls, and then getting ready to head over to our church for the Christmas Eve Service at 5:00. We left our house around 4:00 because I had to run in Publix and pick up our "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake for Christmas Day.
After the service, we headed to Gene's parent's house for their little Christmas celebration. We had a great time together. His mom kept saying it was one of the best that she can remember, and I am so glad that she had such a good night with all her grandchildren.
Here is Paw Paw with both my girls.

Gene's parents with all the grandchildren

Miss Gracen

Reagan opening her new guitar. This was her favorite gift, and she has slept with it for a few nights now.

Gracen playing in her favorite gift of the night.

Jacob opening his present from us. (I didn't get a picture of Abby opening her present from us because she was too quick.)

Look at the mess !
Abby and Gracen playing. Abby had changed into one of her "gifts"...Christmas pajamas and booties from Justice, one of her favorite stores. Too cute!
Once we were home, Reagan immediately got ready for bed. Here she is putting the cookies and milk out for Santa. She placed the plate right by the fireplace "so Santa would be sure to see it".
She insisted on putting out 8 carrots for each reindeer.

Reagan slept in our room with us so we could keep an eye on her. She would have been up in the middle of the night, playing with gifts otherwise. We snuggled in bed and read the Christmas story, a book called 'Twas the Real Night Before Christmas', a poem about the nativity, talked (again) about why we celebrate Christmas, and prayed together before she drifted off to sleep. I was then back up, getting things ready.
The whole night was so much fun!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment