Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Asking for Wisdom

I don't know about the others mothers out there, but I feel like I am constantly second guessing myself when it comes to being a mother. On any given day, there is just so much to think about, so much to worry about, so much to plan, and so much to do. I mean I get one chance in rearing my children and I won't get a "do-over".

Let me give you a few examples...

Nutrition- I have been thinking a good bit about the food that my two little precious ones are consuming. They are both so picky and despite my best efforts, they just do not want to eat vegetables. They will eat yogurt and a few fruits, but their favorite foods are chicken nuggets and the like, that are probably hardening their arteries at an alarming rate. I know that children go through phases, but it is still difficult to think about their little bodies and the nutritional gaps that they are sure to have. I am always thinking about healthy meals that I can cook, that everyone will eat, and healthy snacks to have around the house. Of course Reagan only wants chocolate chip cookies for her snacks...sigh. I am also reading about supplements and trying to figure out which ones are best and which ones will fit into our budget. It seriously makes my head hurt. I just want to hand them the chicken nugget and pray that "God blesses it to the nourishment of their bodies" and be done with it.

Discipline- Oh my goodness! Who knew that discipline could be so difficult. Daily, I ask myself if I am being too hard on the girls or if I am being to easy on the girls. The discipline they receive as they grow up will determine the kind of young adults they will grow into, and that is a lot of pressure for one Momma. Gracen is starting to enter an ugly whiny stage and she makes it clear when she is not happy, Reagan has started with the attitude and I actually got my first "eye roll" from her yesterday, and both girls are figuring out that it is fun to irritate one another. I want them to love one another and be kind to each other and if I recite one Bible verse on the subject, I just might scream. I know that I have to persevere though because the purpose of discipline is to teach them that they HAVE to submit to the authority of their parents, which lays the foundation that one day they will HAVE to submit to the authority of God.

Spiritual Development- I want to introduce both of my girls to Jesus Christ. I pray for their salvation every single day. I read Bible stories to them, pray with them, listen to praise and worship music with them, watch for teachable moments that are easy gateways to discuss the things of God and take them when they come, and faithfully take them to church and church activities. I also try to live out an authentic Christian walk before them and allow them to catch me praying and reading my Bible. Is all this enough? Is it too much? I don't know.

I am a perfectionist in some areas and I think about things way too much. Other things on my mind would be maintaining a strong marriage, keeping my house clean and organized, my own healthy eating, finding time to exercise, spending quality time with each member of my family, etc. It is exhausting!

And today I was reminded that I don't have to figure everything out on my own. I read a verse in my Bible that jumped off of the page.

James 1:5 says, "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

That is a great "mom verse" and one I plan to hang on to. I have got it written on a note card and I will read it when my mind starts to race with all the issues that I listed above. God is with me and He will give me all the wisdom that I need as I take every concern to Him. He will show me the way and help me to walk in it! Every single morning I will ask God to give me His wisdom as I make decisions all through the day.

I trust that He will answer.

Changing subjects...My younger sister Lindsay wrote a blog entry today on Christmas memories and how our family celebrated Christmas as we were growing up. It brought back such great memories and reminded me again today how blessed I am to have the family that I do. I have wonderful parents and two great sisters. I love you Mom, Dad, Lori, and Lindsay! You can find the link to her blog on the side of this entry...."My Little Sister, Lindsay".

Until next time....



1 comment:

  1. You know I will be glad to help you on nutrition. I'm not perfect with our diet by a long shot. But, we eat pretty healthy and I've dealt with my fair share of picky eaters, one being my husband! Just e-mail me and I'll be glad to help you with some doable ideas to increase it slowly. On discipline, it is tough. I am doing better with alot of things with my olders since using a chart. These are great http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=91

    They also have a great book that you would use as they get older http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=15 It is very thorough and I really like using it to study for myself. I also found a printable chart that someone was using with the discipline already filled in. http://www.raisingarrows.net/2009/09/ifthen-chart.html As they get older it just really helps so you aren't so stumped and don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete