Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Much Better Tuesday

My Tuesday was much better than my Monday. I finally got a great night sleep. I went to bed around 9:00 and slept until close to 7:00, which is very unusual for me. I think it has been about three weeks since I have gotten a full night sleep due to one child or the other. I was very surprised that Gracen slept through the night, but I guess the antibiotic shot got in her system and helped her to feel better. Apparently she was tired as well. I woke up Tuesday morning feeling very rested, which is always a good thing. Both girls slept until 8:00, which is rare around my house. I was thrilled to be able to take a shower and spend some time in God's Word, trying to prepare myself for whatever the doctor might tell me about Gracen.

Gene's mom called and wanted to get Reagan around 10:30 and keep her until 3:30 or so. She picks up my nephew, Jacob, around lunch from preschool and they enjoy playing together. She thought I might want to focus on Gracen and rest when she rested. This was a huge help because I was really behind with laundry and house stuff since we had been out of town the weekend before. My next problem was that I really needed to go and buy groceries and was hesitant to drag Gracen to the grocery store. Well, my mom called and asked if I had anything I needed to do because she wanted to come and help with the girls. Since Reagan had already been taken care of, Mom came around 1:00 to watch Gracen and I went to buy groceries...childfree! I felt like God just opened the floodgates to meet some of my needs.

By 3:00 I still had not heard a word from the doctor's office. I called them and the nurse had no idea what I was talking about. Don't you just love that! Turns out my doctor was off and nobody knew that they were suppose to be calling me with any results. It took the nurse about 30 minutes to locate Gracen's chart and test results. The report showed that she does not have a urinary tract infection. That is a praise because that means that I do not have to take her to have all those test done next week.

On the other hand, what caused her high fever? That is a good question. For now, the doctor is calling it a bacterial infection of some kind and is treating it with a round of antibiotics.

Do I feel any better? Not really. I am the kind that wants a very clear, cut, and dry answer. The unknown leaves me feeling a little uneasy. I keep hearing the doctor's words that "there may be something brewing in there"...referring to her little body. I know children get sick and that it is just part of growing up, but I would still prefer a diagnosis.

Gracen has been on an antibiotic since Monday at lunch and she seems totally fine today. She is smiling, crawling all around, laughing, and napping well. She hasn't had fever since Monday. Hopefully she is on the mend.


Totally changing the subject. Gene brought home this book last night.

He stopped and purchased it on the way home and said that he really wanted us to go through this together. Interesting?
If you aren't familiar with the title, it is from the movie Fireproof and is a 40 Day Challenge for husbands and wives to understand and practice unconditional love. Each day consists of a discussion about some aspect of love and applying it to your marriage, a specific dare to do for your spouse, and journal space to log what you are learning and doing and how your spouse is responding. I am not sure what day we are starting this but I am excited about it.

Gene and I get along perfectly and compliment each other well. We don't argue or anything like that, but with 2 small children at home we feel like we are drifting a little bit. Does anyone out there know what I am talking about? All my time and energy goes to the kids, especially with a new baby, and with his crazy work schedule, he is only home 3 nights a week. Sometimes it is just tough to connect. We want to step back and prioritize a little bit and make sure that we keep God first and our marriage second.....then our girls....and then let everything else fall into place. I think it is pretty cool that I have a husband that wants to keep our marriage strong. I love him for that.

We have a date night scheduled tomorrow night, the first one in a couple of months and we are going to start going on a date every other Thursday, starting tomorrow night. (Kimberly and Jenna, you guys are going to be getting some calls. Who wants Feb. 11th? )

The month of February is the "love month" so I guess this is a fitting time to start this challenge together. Our monthly momMEtime meeting on Feb. 18th will also be about our relationship with our husbands....so I am sure the marriage topic will show up a lot on my blog. It is going to be on my mind for sure.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad Gracen is feeling better & that you got some good rest! I have been praying (and will continue too) that you will have answers about what is going on with Gracen!

    I definitely understand about drifting away from your husband. I have felt that way a lot over the last 18 months. Right now we are really close & I know that's the whole "distance makes the heart grow fonder!" But it's still a good reminder to me to never take our time together for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call any night you need me! I love me some time with the DeVaughn girls, plus it is good practice and a reminder that Drew and I are not ready for the whole parenting thing yet...Also the offer from last night still stands if you need a break Friday just call me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Date night! I am so proud! Remember all of the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete