Saturday, January 15, 2011

Scripture Memory Verse #2

Well, today is January 15th, which means it is time to pick another verse to commit to my memory. I have gone between a few verses, but I keep coming back to one that I know, but don't fully live out. It has to do with the sin of worry.

Philippians 4:6-7 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I love the verse, and it is an easy one to quote but it is very difficult to live out, especially when something difficult happens. Just this week I was reminded on Facebook of a quote from Francis Chan's book, Crazy Love. He said this, "Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives." I don't want to ever imply that to those around me. My girls are with me almost 24/7 and they hear my words, and they can ver easily learn to worry.

I know God is big enough, I know God is powerful enough, and I know that God is loving enough to handle every single thing that touches my life. I have got to let the truth of what is in my head seep down deep into my heart. What is in my heart is what will flow out of my mouth and that is what my girls will hear and learn.

In the last week or so, I have seen how senseless worry really is and how little it accomplishes. Reagan has developed this weird fear of throwing up. She had a stomach bug back around Thanksgiving, toward the end of December someone threw up in her classroom at school, and over the Christmas break she had a bad cough and gagged up stuff in her sleep 3 nights in a row. The combination of these things has left a constant worry that she is going to throw up. Every night in our prayer time she wants to pray that she won't throw up in the night and that she won't throw up at school in front of her friends. We have had several mornings that she hasn't wanted to go to school so she will cry and say that she has a stomach ache. Due to the "stomach ache" she says she should "just stay home because she might throw up in front of her friends and then they will laugh at her". This is driving me crazy.

Just recently I got so aggravated at her, that I yelled at her, telling her to stop worrying about something that probably wasn't going to happen and that she cannot control. I told her that it is silly and a waste of her time. As soon as the words left my mouth, I thought about my heavenly Father and the way He must feel when I worry needlessly. Later that day, when I got alone in prayer, I confessed the sin of continually worrying about the unknown. I want to live a life that displays my trust in Him, through my actions, thoughts, and my words.

This is a verse that I need to not only learn but to life out!

You can join Beth Moore's Memory Challenge HERE. There are over 9,000 participants this year. I think that is pretty cool.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment