Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Tree Firmly Planted

I know that I skipped my usual weekend wrap-up yesterday, but I had a really busy day and just didn't have time to write an entry. I also didn't have much to wrap up. Gene didn't get home until close to 7:00 Friday evening and by 8:00 we were putting the girls down for the night. We were both tired and turned in early. Exciting, I know.

On Saturday, we stayed home all day, hanging out in the yard while Gene did the yard work. He had chair set up at the church at 5:00. He left around 3:30 to run another errand first and didn't get home until close to 7:00 again because only 8 men from his set-up team showed up to set up 800 chairs for Sunday morning worship. Gene has back issues and is still hurting this morning.

On Sunday, we had a wonderful morning and night at church. As I have said before, I love corporate worship so Sunday, as busy as it is, energizes me.

This morning in my quiet time, I didn't really want to study too deep, just read a little bit, so I turned to my favorite, the Psalms.

I read Psalm 1 several times and wanted to share a few verses.

Psalm 1:1-3
"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers."

I know I have shared these verses before because there is so much truth to learn in them. I was reminded how often as a woman and a mom, I look for advice in all the wrong places. I watch talk shows, read Parenting magazines, or read self-help articles looking for an answer to some question that I have. Those things are equal to "walking in the counsel of the wicked". God's Word promises to be everything I need. As I continually read His word, delight in it, and meditate on it day and night, God says that I will be blessed. More specifically He says that I will be "like a tree planted by streams of water". I want to be firmly planted in Him. I do not want to be tossed about by different waves of thought or instruction. I want to yield fruit for God in my Christian walk and in my mothering abilities, fruit that will not wither. I want the things that I do to prosper.

For those things to happen, I have to make time to read God's Word every single day. I need to write down a verse that speaks to my heart and read it throughout the day. As I do that, I am meditating on God's truth and putting that truth down into my heart. I want to be full of God's truth and not the truth of this lost world and that is a constant battle, isn't it?

Start growing your roots today by committing to daily Bible study and prayer.

The fruit that comes from it will be juicy and delicious.
Psalm 34:8 says, "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!"
He is good! He really is!

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part is that it shows the progression of sin: walk with the counsel of sin, then next you will stand (how we stop and think about and don't flee) and the last step is we are just going to sit down with our sin.

    ReplyDelete