Thursday, June 3, 2010

Modeling

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 says, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way and when you lie down, and when you rise."

As I have studied 2 Peter over the last couple of weeks and have really considered all the character traits that should be evident in my life according to 2 Peter 1:5-8, I have had to think about what I am modeling for my girls each and every day. They learn so much from me. I am with them all day long and I teach them so much more than how to pick up toys, how to make a bed, how to brush their teeth, how to use their manners, etc. I am modeling Christ every single moment of every single day. My kids are watching my life...how I respond to people and situations, how I handle stress and difficulties, how I talk to their Daddy, how I love or don't love people, how I spend our money, how I love my God by my faithfulness to be in His house, read His Word, and pray to Him. It is so easy to think, "Well, Reagan is learning about God at church," or "I did a devotion with her this morning, so we did the God thing."

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 says that the most important instruction that I can give them is all throughout the day. How convicting is that thought! I teach them as I talk to them. I teach them when I sit in my house, possibly by what I am watching on TV or the words they hear during a phone conversation. I teach them as I walk by the way, when I lie down, and when I rise back up. All of those phrases are straight from the verses out of Deuteronomy 6 and, I think that just about covers my entire day. I am never "at rest", but always modeling what a Christian look like.

I think as Christian moms, we have to constantly ask ourselves, "What am I modeling to my children?" I hope it's not gossip, anger, worry, drinking, over eating, over spending, unfaithfulness in church attendance, telling little white lies, or fighting with our spouse. Instead strive to model Christ. As you grow in your relationship with Him, your character will develop and your kids we see and learn what moral excellence or virtue looks like.

I know that I have such a long way to go. I am convicted every day as I lose my temper with Reagan or I use a sarcastic tone with Gene or I verbalize every worry in my head for Reagan to hear. I am thankful for the conviction that comes, and I am thankful that I can learn from my mistakes and hopefully do better the next day. I am thankful that I serve a God full of grace and mercy who meets me when I bow my head in humble submission to Him and once again tell Him "I'm sorry". He raises my chin and tells me He still loves me and that He will never leave me or forsake me.

I desperately want to raise two arrows to shoot out into this dark world who will point others to Christ by their words, actions, and hearts. I want their lives to bring glory to God and that begins with what they are learning at home.

Humbling thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment