Monday, June 14, 2010

Catching Up

Well, so much for popping in last week at some point to say "Hi". We were really busy with VBS every morning and, we had very hectic afternoons due to some construction work that was going on in our house. More about all that in a moment.

First, let me start with last Saturday, June 5th. We all headed down to Georgiana, AL for a family reunion in honor of my Granny's 90th birthday. Here is a picture of her. Isn't she pretty? I think she has aged very well.

Here are a few shots from our day. Unfortunately, more than half of the family couldn't be there for different reasons, but we all still had a really good time. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting and watching my girls interact with everyone. The food was really good too.
Here are some of the great grandchildren putting on a play for Granny, telling her that she is the best grandmother in the world. The play was really cute.
Here are some of the adults watching the play.

Gracen wanted to join the cast of characters and cousin Carson Anne scooped her right up.
Riley Grace, my mom, and Gracen.

Riley Grace and Gracen....love those freckles!
Uncle Royce and Aunt Vivian....I know you love this picture Vivian.

Uncle Royce with his granddaughters... Riley Grace and Carson Anne
Aunt Sherry...my Dad and Granny (his mom) in the background
My cousin Daphne...always so pretty. (mom to Carson Anne, Ethan, and James)
Sitting around the table...my dad and his brother Craig...and the back of Aunt Sherry's head

Aunt Vicky, Daphne, Uncle Craig

Granny blowing out her birthday candlesReagan, James, and Ethan (Daphne's boys) playing with a turtle.
I didn't get too many great pictures, but we really had a great time.
Vacation Bible School started Monday morning. We had to leave the house every day about 8:20. Really this should not be difficult, but for some reason it is extremely difficult. Of course, both girls woke up every night that week starting Sunday night. Ridiculous! On 2 different nights Reagan woke me up 3 times about 2 hours apart. On the 2 nights that Reagan slept, Gracen woke up....and Gracen NEVER wakes up. It's like they planned it out. On Friday night, when VBS was over, they both slept all night long. What is up with that? I could have really used the rest during VBS, but a great night of sleep after VBS was very nice.
Gene and I taught about 16 fifth graders and loved it. The kids were fantastic and the material was really good. Reagan loved her class and learned a lot. We are all still singing the songs that we had to learn for the week. VBS is really tiring, but I can honestly say that I love the community feeling. I love seeing the church family every single day and coming together to pull off something really fun. I love the church, the body of Christ, and hope Reagan and Gracen fall in love with the church as well.
On Monday construction work started at my house. We had all the carpet ripped out and hardwood floors put down. There was nothing like being greeted by 3 burly men early Monday morning after very little sleep, thanks to two little girls who would not sleep, while you are running around like crazy trying to get out the door for VBS. Loved that and equally loved that they were there almost every morning that week! The construction work was suppose to be done the week before VBS. Of course it wasn't. The job was suppose to be complete in 2 days. Of course it wasn't. So every single afternoon, tired as I was, I had to find somewhere to take my children. They were in the men's way and my entire house was in my kitchen or outside on my back patio or front porch. When the job was done, I felt like we were moving into a new house because there was so much to put back in order. It was exhausting, but oh so worth it.
We love the floors. Our carpet was 11 years old and nasty and the dust....oh, there was so much dust in our house, and I know most of it was coming out of that carpet. We feel like it was an investment in our health. We have been talking about doing this for a year, maybe longer, but I am so thankful that we waited until we had to the cash to do it. It felt good to write that check, rather than worrying about making the payments for the next 12 months or so.
Our house is now a work in progress because when you touch one thing it makes everything else look old. I have a list that we are going to work on, doing a little each month as we can pay for it, but I know that we will love it when it is all complete.
Tomorrow, I will post some pictures of the floors and share some of my wish list.
Then we are headed to the beach for 5 nights! Gene and I are so ready to get away and I can taste the seafood right now! Vacation means that I won't blog again, after tomorrow, for another week. If I have any faithful readers, I am sorry about that, but my computer is not coming to the beach.
Until next time...



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting pictures from Granny's. I was so sad to have missed it. I really miss everyone in the family and can't believe I haven't been able to see them in so long. Also, can't wait to see your house, Mom said it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete