Monday, March 21, 2011

Family Time

We truly treasured our family time this past weekend, more so than any weekend that I can remember. Gene went on a mission trip to Nicaragua for 8 days and arrived home late this past Friday night. We were so thankful to have him home. The saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is so true. We stuck to him like glue all day Saturday and Sunday. He couldn't even go the bathroom without one of the girls following him and sitting by the door.

After doing life alone for 8 days I pretty much dropped every responsibility and just sat with him and talked to him about all that he missed while he was away. He talked to me about the life changing trip that he experienced, showing the three of us many pictures of his adventures. We talked, watched TV together, hung out in the yard together, grilled out, and had a family movie night. It was a great, great weekend.

I am so thankful for him and so thankful to have him home. I DO NOT like doing life apart from him. I know at times we have to be separated for mission trips and ministry opportunities, but I just do not like it at all. I guess in a way, if I have to look for a positive thing, it is a little empowering to know that I can handle the kids and all the responsibilities here on my own...if I had to. Of course, we didn't have any kind of emergency or sickness (Praise the Lord) so who knows exactly what I could handle without totally freaking out....but 8 days alone is a start.

I must say though, that I was never truly alone. We spent one night with my parents and visited them another time or two throughout the week and Gene's parents live within a mile from my house and they spent a good bit of time with the girls. I also knew that they were all just a phone call away. That is always comforting!

I also spent a lot of time praying. It is funny how much we pray when we need something from God or when we go through tough times. I needed God to bring Gene home safely and to protect him while he was on his trip. I needed his strength to walk me through each second of each day. I needed to sense his protection as I slept...or I should say tried to sleep, despite the night noises. All of that added up to praying without ceasing...just as the Bible tells me that I should do. Because I did that, I felt very close to God all week. Oh, to maintain that closeness. I want to want God like that every single day!

Here are a few pictures from one of our family days this weekend. And my camera is apparently about to die. It is fuzzy for some reason. My birthday is close and I think I will invest in one then. Until then....fuzzy pictures.

Gene, happy to be home

Gene playing with the girls...I couldn't get a good picture. They just would not be still.
Gene bought a new grill. Squirrels ate through the tubing of our old grill this past winter and we knew that we would have to purchase one this spring. I think Gene was secretly happy about the squirrel incident because our grill was about 10 years old. We grill out a good bit and it is a necessity. To break it in we cooked out steaks...a great "coming home" meal.

Our meal
The kids' meal...they love steak, the roll, and will tolerate a little of the baked potato. They will not eat salad though, so I made them a little fruit salad instead.
Reagan striking a pose

Gracen..not in the mood to pose.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment